Bandar Shahi Mosque
Overview of Bandar Shahi Mosque
Bandar Shahi Mosque is situated in the Bandar Municipal area, about a mile to the south-east of kadam rasul in Narayanganj district. It was built in 1482 AD (886 AH) by Malik al-Muazzam baba saleh, an official under Sultan jalaluddin fath shah. It is a square building measuring 6.20 meter a side in the interior and 9.70 meter in the exterior. It has four octagonal corner towers and a large hemispherical dome supported by two engaged black stone pillars embedded in each wall with square bases, capitals and octagonal shafts. The squinches which hold up the dome spring from the top of these pillars.
The dome has a lotus and pitcher finial. The raising of the dome on a drum crowned with merlons seems to be part of Mughal renovations. There are three entrances in the east, of whom the central one is wider, measuring 2.20 meter high and 1.37 meter wide respectively. The two other entrances on either side are 2 meter high and 1 meter wide. The side entrances are of the same size as the front central one. There are three semi-circular mihrabs of which the central one is the largest. The northern one is used as a closet. The mosque has been renovated and enlarged by verandahs on the east, south and north sides.
Copyright notice: Some contents and images are taken from wikipedia.org (under GNU-FDL) and copyright goes to wikipedia.org and other source sites, photographers and article writers.