Eden Girls' College
Overview of Eden Girls' College
Eden Girls' College originated from a school for Brahmo girls established by Shubha Sadhini Sabha (a philanthropic society) in dhaka in 1873. Initially, the classes of the school were conducted in a private house at farashganj. In 1878, the school was merged with another private girls' school to form Dhaka Female School. The same year the school administration took the initiative to bring it under government management and proposed it be called Eden Girls' School after the Lieutenant Governor Sir Ashley Eden. Given its new status, it started functioning at a new location at Laxmibazar.
Eden was the first government girls' school in Bengal. In 1896-97, it had 130 students. It was recognised by the government as an 'excellent high school' of the provinces of Eastern Bengal and Assam. When the school building was damaged in the earthquake of 1897, it temporarily shifted to a private house. Sometime later, it was again shifted to one of the big business houses of Portuguese merchants at sadarghat. Intermediate classes (grades 11 and 12) were introduced in the school in 1926. Since then it got the name of Eden Girls' High School and Intermediate College. ak fazlul huq (Sher-e-Bangla) in his capacity as the education minister shifted the school to a new building on Abdul Ghani Road, later known as Eden Building. In 1947, the government decided to establish its Provincial Secretariat in this building and the college got a new temporary address in a part of curzon hall. Frequent shifting put the college into an uncertain situation and with an intention to merge with Quamrunnesa School and College, it shifted to the premises of the latter. In 1958, the college sections of these two institutions merged and formed Eden Girls' College. The new college was located at Bakshibazar. The school sections of the two colleges were merged to form Quamrunnesa School at Tikatuli.
The current campus of the Eden College was developed in 1962 on 18 acres of land at Azimpur. Meanwhile, the college opened its degree programme in the new premises, but its intermediate section continued to stay at Bakshibazar. Subsequently, the Azimpur campus of Eden introduced its own intermediate classes. The Bakshibazar section introduced independent degree classes, taking afterwards the name of Government Girls' College, and later, Badrunnesa College.
The Azimpur campus got its independent identity as Eden Girls' College in 1963. In 1972, the college had a large academic building with four wings and about one hundred rooms. Two four-storeyed buildings were added in the 1980s. Apart from these structures, the college has four hostel buildings, a two-storeyed library building, and the residence of the Principal within its boundaries. In 1999, Eden's library had 33,000 books and subscribed to about 1,200 journals and newsletters. Students of the college take part in Rover Scouting and national level sports competitions in the field of hockey, badminton, handball and athletics.
Copyright notice: Some contents and images are taken from wikipedia.org (under GNU-FDL) and copyright goes to wikipedia.org and other source sites, photographers and article writers.