Overview of Gharibullah's Mosque
Gharibullah's Mosque (Sonargaon) situated at village Bari Majlis in Sonargaon upazila of Narayanganj district, about half a km north of Magrapara crossing on the Dhaka-Chittagong highway. The mosque was built, as evidenced by an inscription, in 1152 AH (1739-40 AD) by Shaikh Gharibullah, a jachandar or examiner of cloth to the east india company.
The square single-domed mosque has four engaged octagonal corner towers at the four outer angles, which extend beyond the parapet and are crowned by a cupola with finials. There are three entrances in the east and one each on the north and south sides. The entrance arches were originally semicircular with cusps and decorated with a bouquet motif at the apex. There are three mihrabs in the interior, although they have no original decoration left. One of these is now being used as a locker. The large hemispherical dome carried on squinches is placed on an octagonal drum and crowned by an inverted lotus and kalasa finial. The drum has a blind arcade on miniature columns running all around and a row of decorative merlons on top. The outside walls of the mosque are plastered and articulated with rectangular panels, and there are cusped semi-circular arches inside.
The mosque has been renovated several times and extended by tinshed verandas on brick pillars on the north, east and south sides. It is presently being used as a jami mosque.
Copyright notice: Some contents and images are taken from wikipedia.org (under GNU-FDL) and copyright goes to wikipedia.org and other source sites, photographers and article writers.